Machines like refrigeration and air conditioning system, various engines, insulation applied on various pipelines and structure require knowledge of heat transfer. Heat transfer laboratory is designed by keeping in mind all these requirements. The laboratory contains equipments to check flow of fluid, heat transfer through metallic rod, insulators and calorific values of fuels. This will not only enhance the theoretical knowledge of the cadets but also Imparts a practical understanding and a feel of heat transfer and its application on board ship.
- Hydraulic bench apparatus- measurement of flow by venturimeter, orifice, notches. Calculation of coefficient of friction for various pipes is also demonstrated which is used to determine pump capacity on board ship.
- Heat transfer apparatus - to calculate heat transfer through pin fin, metal rod which is used in the design of heat exchangers
- Thermal conductivity of insulating powder is used for calculating heat transfer through boiler walls and pipelines
- Bomb calorimeter to calculate calorific value of fuel is used to decide the type of fuel used in a system
- ABELS viscometer is used to calculate the viscosity of oil on board ship.
- Refrigeration system used in lab guideline to understand the construction and working of refrigeration on boardship.
- Reciprocating compressor test rig gives guidelines to cadets about working and efficient use of compressor for various purposes on boardship.